Secrets on How to Submit to Film Festivals
This is it! The inaugural episode of Film Festival Hacks, the podcast that explores the festival circuit “from both sides of the badge.” Alex Ferrari is an award-winning filmmaker with nearly 600 international film festivals under his belt. He’s joined by Chris Holland, author of Film Festival Secrets: A Handbook for Independent Filmmakers who has worked closely with more than 200 film festivals including Sundance, AFI Fest, and SXSW.
Together we explore the hidden world of film festival programming and pass along tips that give you that critical edge in the festival submissions game.
Getting the most out of your film festival investment takes careful planning ahead. In this first episode, we look at what filmmakers can do during the submissions process to make sure they get the best results and how to avoid some common pitfalls.
The primary topic of conversation of today’s show is the top 3 things that annoy festival programmers. These are typical mistakes that most festival rookies make, which is why we’re here to teach you the important do’s and don’ts of getting your film in front of these crucial gatekeepers while keeping them in a good mood. They’re the little things that may not seem like a big deal to you but are major annoyances to festival directors.
This episode alone will save you hours of frustration and keep you out of the doghouse, so set aside 15 minutes to invest in your festival future.
LINKS AND RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE
Filmtrepreneur Library: Required Reading
- Independent Ed: What I Learned from My Career of Big Dreams, Little Movies, and the Twelve Best Days of My Life
- The Declaration of Independent Filmmaking: An Insider’s Guide to Making Movies Outside of Hollywood
- Like Brothers: The Rise of the Duplass Brothers
- Shooting for the Mob (Based on the Incredible True Filmmaking Story)
- Rebel without a Crew: Or How a 23-Year-Old Filmmaker With $7,000 Became a Hollywood Player
- The Cheerful Subversive’s Guide to Independent Filmmaking: From Preproduction to Festivals and Distribution
- Produce Your Own Damn Movie!
- Get Your Free Filmmaking Audiobook
If you enjoyed the Secrets on How to Submit to Film Festivals, then watch below:
If you enjoyed Secrets on How to Submit to Film Festivals, please spread the word through Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc by using social media buttons in the post. Feel free to post to your blog and anywhere else you feel it would be a good fit. Thanks for the support.
Let me know what you think in the comments section below…
Stuff You Need in Your Life:
IFHTV: Indie Film Hustle TV
Book: Shooting for the Mob (Based on the Incredible True Filmmaking Story)