Indie Film Lessons from an Oscar-Winning Producer with Michael Gottwald
When you talk about independent film producers, Michael Gottwald is on that top list. He’s hit it out of the park a few times, especially with his film: “Beasts of the Southern Wild,” which won the Camera d’Or at the Cannes Film Festival and was nominated for four Academy Awards.
He also produced “Ping Pong Summer,” which premiered at the 2014 Sundance Film Festival, and a new cycles of the hit web series “High Maintenance.” His latest project, “Western,” premiered at Sundance. Take a listen to some advice from this master indie film producer.
Who is a Producer and What Do They Do?
Michael Gottwald explains which kind of producers work on a film and what they are responsible for. Many aspects of movie production are a mystery to those working outside of the business. In this clip from his online course Producing An Indie Film From The Grassroots, Up (click here to check it out), Michael explains the various roles producers take on.
Michael Gottwald’s course, “Producing An Indie Film From The Grassroots, Up” aims to teach its students how to produce with optimum proficiency, and it will cover everything from the source material, to modes of fundraising, to careful production planning, all the way to distribution and marketing.
Learn all about the production process behind Beasts of the Southern Wild and how you can develop your own film project. Click below to download the course.
Michael Gottwald Discuss his Oscar-Nominated Film “Beast of the Southern Wilds”
The Producer of the film “Beasts of the Southern Wild” introduces the film and takes questions.
Filmtrepreneur Library: Required Reading
- Independent Ed: What I Learned from My Career of Big Dreams, Little Movies, and the Twelve Best Days of My Life
- The Declaration of Independent Filmmaking: An Insider’s Guide to Making Movies Outside of Hollywood
- Like Brothers: The Rise of the Duplass Brothers
- Shooting for the Mob (Based on the Incredible True Filmmaking Story)
- Rebel without a Crew: Or How a 23-Year-Old Filmmaker With $7,000 Became a Hollywood Player
- The Cheerful Subversive’s Guide to Independent Filmmaking: From Preproduction to Festivals and Distribution
- Produce Your Own Damn Movie!
- Get Your Free Filmmaking Audiobook
If you enjoyed the Indie Film Lessons from an Oscar-Winning Producer with Michael Gottwald, then watch below:
If you enjoyed Indie Film Lessons from an Oscar-Winning Producer with Michael Gottwald, please spread the word through Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc by using social media buttons in the post. Feel free to post to your blog and anywhere else you feel it would be a good fit. Thanks for the support.
Let me know what you think in the comments section below…
Stuff You Need in Your Life:
IFHTV: Indie Film Hustle TV
Book: Shooting for the Mob (Based on the Incredible True Filmmaking Story)