Please Note: Once you press play it will take a few seconds for the episode to start playing.
Total Transparency: How Much Revenue Can a $100K Indie Film Generate with Liz Manashil
Have you ever wondered how much revenue a real indie film can make in the marketplace? Wouldn’t you like to see the real and raw numbers for a nontheatrical film with no major film festival premieres? Today’s guest has been brave enough to do just that. Filmmaker Liz Manashil decided to open up the accounting books on her debut feature film Bread and Butter, starring SNL’s Bobby Moynihan and Lauren Lapkus.
Liz Manashil earned her B.A. in Film and Media Studies at Washington University in St. Louis, and her M.F.A. from USC’s School of Cinematic Arts. Post-graduation, Liz spent several years as a film critic for the PBS/Hulu series JUST SEEN IT (which she also helped produce and direct). Overlapping this, Liz worked with distribution guru Peter Broderick.
Her debut feature, BREAD, AND BUTTER was called “an absolute must-watch for women everywhere” by HelloGiggles. It was released by The Orchard and can be seen on VOD nearly everywhere (including Hulu!). Liz is currently in pre-production on her next feature film, SPEED OF LIFE, and lives in Los Angeles with her dog, Laura Palmer, and her partner, Sean Wright. She is the Manager of the Sundance Institute’s Creative Distribution Initiative.
Here’s the breakdown (taken from her amazing article on Moviemaker Magazine:
Our film, Bread and Butter, is a digital success. A digital success you’ve never heard of.
Let’s break it down.
- Our film cost $100,000 to make
- We grossed $96,000 a little bit more than a year into our release (and we’re still making deals)
- Our distributor did have marketing spend but we invested in no other resources outside of that (other than me running our social media campaigns and newsletter)
- We got two airline deals, two SVOD deals, and decent promotion of transactional and cable VOD
- We’re operating in the black with the distributor’s marketing spend and heading toward eventual recoupment in terms of our expenses
In an age where people debate the utility of making independent feature films, there is hope.
I had a ball speaking to Liz and we get into the weeds on traditional distribution and self-distribution. If you want to sell your film in the marketplace perk up your ears and take some notes. Enjoy my conversation with Liz Manashil.
IFH Academy’s Film Distribution: Confidential Course
I’m also announcing the BETA Launch of IFH Academy’s Film Distribution: Confidential Course.
As part of the BETA team you will get:
- Massive discount for early adopters
- Be the first to see new lessons as I create them
- Access to me during the creation of the course
- Give feedback on the lessons and request new lessons
I want this course to be the most comprehensive course on film distribution anywhere in the world and having you be part of the BETA Team will help me do that.
PLEASE NOTE: This is a FIRST COME, FIRST SERVED launch. I’m only making 100 seats available during the BETA Launch. Once they fill up the window will close.
WATCH THE VIDEO BELOW.
To access the BETA Version of IFH Academy’s Film Distribution: Confidential Course – CLICK HERE
LINKS AND RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE
- DONATE to Feed America to help with people affected by the Coronavirus
- IFH Academy’s Film Distribution: Confidential Course – BETA LAUNCH
- Liz Manashil – Official Site
- Liz Manashil – Email
- Bread and Butter – VHX
- DVD Manufacturing On-Demand Service – Allied Vaughn
- $1 Closed Captions for Indie Filmmakers – Rev ($10 Off Your First Order)
- The Complete Indie Film Producing Workshop with Suzanne Lyons (COUPON CODE: IFHFILMPRODUCE)
- Rise of the Filmtrepreneur®: How to Turn Your Indie Film into a Moneymaking Business (FREE AUDIOBOOK)
- Shooting for the Mob (Based on the Incredible True Filmmaking Story) (FREE AUDIOBOOK)
REAL-WORLD STREAMING FILM EDUCATION
- Indie Film Hustle TV (Streaming Real-World Film Education)
- Hollywood Film School: Filmmaking & TV Directing Masterclass
- Filmmaker in a Box – Learn How to Make an Indie Film – 18 Hours+ of Lessons
- DSLR Filmmaking Masterclass
- Storytelling Blueprint: Hero’s Two Journeys
- The Dialogue Series: 38 hours of Lessons from Top Hollywood Screenwriters
- IFH Academy – Exclusive Filmtreprenuer Training
- Indie Film Hustle® Podcast
- Bulletproof Screenwriting® Podcast
- Filmtrepreneur™ Podcast
- FreeFilmBook.com (Download Your FREE Filmmaking Audio Book)
SUBSCRIBE TO THE SHOW
- Apple Podcasts
- Google Podcasts
- Tune In
If you enjoyed How Much Revenue Can a $100K Indie Film REALLY Generate with Liz Manashil, then watch below:
If you enjoyed How Much Revenue Can a $100K Indie Film REALLY Generate with Liz Manashil, please spread the word through Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc by using social media buttons in the post. Feel free to post to your blog and anywhere else you feel it would be a good fit. Thanks for the support.
Let me know what you think in the comments section below…
Stuff You Need in Your Life:
IFHTV: Indie Film Hustle TV
Book: Rise of the Filmtrepreneur®: How to Turn Your Film into a Moneymaking Business
Book: Shooting for the Mob (Based on the Incredible True Filmmaking Story)
FREE 3-Part Indie Film Producing Video Series