Please Note: Once you press play it will take a few seconds for the episode to start playing.
Does Your Indie Film Have an Audience?
I’m never surprised anymore when I speak to filmmakers or Filmtrepreneurs and ask them one simple but powerful question,
Does your film have an audience?
I usually just get a blank stare. This is probably the most important question you can ask yourself as an indie filmmaker. Now if you are making film as art and have no intention or care at all about making money with your film then you should stop reading this email.
Now, there’s nothing wrong with that but that is not what I’m discussing here today. For the rest of us that want and need to make money with our films, these few little words should be your mantra in the development process.
Most filmmakers get so excited by the concept of a story, the emotion, or just with the idea of making a feature film that they never ask the question. They are scared to because it might stop the fun they are having. Trust me I know the feeling.
Before you waste all that energy on writing a script, getting talent, crew, and money you better know if you’ll be able to sell this puppy when it’s done.
Ask who is going to watch this, then find out where your audience is hangout online. Join a Facebook group, forum, etc. Ask the community if they would be interested in watching a film like yours. Ask what they would like to see in it and which actors get the group excited.
I know this takes out the art and excitement of filmmaking a bit. Well, when you are starting out you need to take advantage of every opportunity you got.
You’re not Christopher Nolan…yet
You’re not Quentin Tarantino with millions of fans who will just go out to watch anything he does. You have to approach your first film as a business, with a bit of art dashed on top. It’s called show business for a reason.
This is one of many ways to approach making your first film. If you making your film for $2000 then make whatever you want. It a gamble but a small one. I’m talking about filmmakers with $50,000 to $1,000,000 budgets. With that kind of money on the line, you better know who is going to watch and pay for your film.
So before you go off half-cocked to make your first feature ask the question, you’ll thank me later. Listen to this episode and find out some tips and tricks to see if your film has an audience.
IFH Academy’s Film Distribution Blueprint Course
I’m also announcing the BETA Launch of IFH Academy’s Film Distribution Blueprint Course.
As part of the BETA team you will get:
- Massive discount for early adopters
- Be the first to see new lessons as I create them
- Access to me during the creation of the course
- Give feedback on the lessons and request new lessons
I want this course to be the most comprehensive course on film distribution anywhere in the world and having you be part of the BETA Team will help me do that.
PLEASE NOTE: This is a FIRST COME, FIRST SERVED launch. I’m only making 100 seats available during the BETA Launch. Once they fill up the window will close.
WATCH THE VIDEO BELOW.
To access the BETA Version of IFH Academy’s Film Distribution Blueprint Course – CLICK HERE
LINKS AND RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE
- DONATE to Feed America to help with people affected by the Coronavirus
- Rise of the Filmtrepreneur®: How to Turn Your Indie Film into a Moneymaking Business
- $1 Closed Captions for Indie Filmmakers – Rev ($10 Off Your First Order)
- The Complete Indie Film Producing Workshop with Suzanne Lyons (COUPON CODE: IFHFILMPRODUCE)
- Shooting for the Mob (Based on the Incredible True Filmmaking Story) (FREE AUDIOBOOK)
REAL-WORLD STREAMING FILM EDUCATION
- Indie Film Hustle TV (Streaming Real-World Film Education)
- Hollywood Film School: Filmmaking & TV Directing Masterclass
- Filmmaker in a Box – Learn How to Make an Indie Film – 18 Hours+ of Lessons
- DSLR Filmmaking Masterclass
- Storytelling Blueprint: Hero’s Two Journeys
- The Dialogue Series: 38 hours of Lessons from Top Hollywood Screenwriters
- IFH Academy – Exclusive Filmtreprenuer Training
- Indie Film Hustle® Podcast
- Bulletproof Screenwriting® Podcast
- Filmtrepreneur™ Podcast
- FreeFilmBook.com (Download Your FREE Filmmaking Audio Book)
SUBSCRIBE TO THE SHOW
- Apple Podcasts
- Google Podcasts
- Tune In
If you enjoyed Does Your Indie Film Have an Audience?, then watch below:
If you enjoyed Does Your Indie Film Have an Audience?, please spread the word through Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc by using social media buttons in the post. Feel free to post to your blog and anywhere else you feel it would be a good fit. Thanks for the support.
Let me know what you think in the comments section below…
Podcasts You Should Be Listening To:
Podcast: Indie Film Hustle® Podcast
Podcast: Bulletproof Screenwriting® Podcast
Podcast: Inside the Screenwriter’s Mind® Podcast
Podcast: The Filmtrepreneur® Podcast
Podcast: Filmmaking Motivation Podcast
IFH Podcast Network: Discover the Best Screenwriting and Filmmaking Podcasts
Stuff You Need in Your Life:
IFHTV: Indie Film Hustle TV
Book: Rise of the Filmtrepreneur®: How to Turn Your Film into a Moneymaking Business
Book: Shooting for the Mob (Based on the Incredible True Filmmaking Story)
FREE 3-Part Indie Film Producing Video Series