Please Note: Once you press play it will take a few seconds for the episode to start playing.
Breaking Down a BAD Distribution Deal with Kerry Carlock & Nick Lund-Ulrich
Partnering with an honest film distributor can be a great part of any Filmtrepreneurial Blueprint. The problem is finding said “honest” distributor can be challenging. Finding an honest film distributor is like finding a unicorn, I know they are out there but they are rare. Yes, I know unicorns don’t exist but you get what I’m trying to say.
By design, the world of film distribution is shrouded in mystery. The key to the continued success of predatory film distributors is the silence of filmmakers and keeping “real” numbers behind lock and key. Today on the show we have two filmmakers who decided to come forward to break the silence.
Kerry Carlock & Nick Lund-Ulrich are the filmmakers behind ARMSTRONG, which is about a rookie EMT and her partner pick up a wounded superhero and are pulled into his mission to save Los Angeles from a sinister organization.
These brave filmmakers break down the numbers, the creative challenges of working with a distributor and much more. You can see a major difference in the artwork the filmmakers designed above to the way the company decided to market the film in the trailer artwork. Unless you have it stated in the contract you will lose the way your film is marketed and sold to the public.
If you ever wanted to take a peek behind the curtain on a bad distribution experience get ready to take some notes. Enjoy my conversation with Kerry Carlock & Nick Lund-Ulrich.
LINKS AND RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE
- WATCH: ARMSTRONG
- Kerry Carlock – IMDB
- Nick Lund-Ulrich – IMDB
- Self Distribution Case Study Docu-Series: Bite Me
- Predatory Film Distributors – The Bankrupt Reboot Scam
- The Death of Traditional Film Distribution
- The Dark Underbelly of Predatory Film Distributors – BEWARE!
- Facebook Group: Protect Yourself from Predatory Film Distributors/Aggregators
- $1 Closed Captions for Indie Filmmakers – Rev ($10 Off Your First Order)
- The Complete Indie Film Producing Workshop with Suzanne Lyons (COUPON CODE: IFHFILMPRODUCE)
- Rise of the Filmtrepreneur®: How to Turn Your Indie Film into a Moneymaking Business (FREE AUDIOBOOK)
- Shooting for the Mob (Based on the Incredible True Filmmaking Story) (FREE AUDIOBOOK)
REAL-WORLD STREAMING FILM EDUCATION
- Indie Film Hustle TV (Streaming Real-World Film Education)
- Hollywood Film School: Filmmaking & TV Directing Masterclass
- Filmmaker in a Box – Learn How to Make an Indie Film – 18 Hours+ of Lessons
- DSLR Filmmaking Masterclass
- Storytelling Blueprint: Hero’s Two Journeys
- The Dialogue Series: 38 hours of Lessons from Top Hollywood Screenwriters
- IFH Academy – Exclusive Filmtrepreneur Training
- Indie Film Hustle® Podcast
- Bulletproof Screenwriting® Podcast
- Filmtrepreneur™ Podcast
- FreeFilmBook.com (Download Your FREE Filmmaking Audio Book)
SUBSCRIBE TO THE SHOW
- Apple Podcasts
- Google Podcasts
- Tune In
If you enjoyed this episode, then watch below:
If you enjoyed this episode of the Filmtrepreneur Podcast, please spread the word through Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc by using social media buttons in the post. Feel free to post to your blog and anywhere else you feel it would be a good fit. Thanks for the support. Let me know what you think in the comments section below…
Stuff You Need in Your Life:
IFHTV: Indie Film Hustle TV
IFH Academy: Exclusive Filmtrepreneur Training
Book: Rise of the Filmtrepreneur®: How to Turn Your Film into a Moneymaking Business
Book: Shooting for the Mob (Based on the Incredible True Filmmaking Story)
FREE 3-Part Indie Film Producing Video Series