Please Note: Once you press play it will take a few seconds for the episode to start playing.
Attack of the Killer Donuts – Designing a Niche Classic with Rafael Diaz Wagner
This week we have Rafael Diaz Wagner, co-writer, and producer of the new Cult Classic “Attack of the Killer Donuts.” Yes, that is really the name of the film and it’s glorious.
“Ever said you’d die for a Krispy Kreme? Here’s the movie to prove that arterial clogging isn’t the only risk of these sweet treats. In fact, it may be an artfully disguised public health broadcast.”
He started making films with a Beta Camera when he was 10 years old. Since then Rafael has written or co-written over 15 screenplays.
I wanted to find out how this film was made, marketed and sold. It’s a wonderful case study. Check out the trailer below and get ready to laugh.
Here a quote from the Hollywood Report review of the :
“If John Waters and George Romero dropped acid together and then spent the night at their local Krispy Kreme, they might have concocted something like the new cult classic in the making, Attack of the Killer Donuts. But the fact that such a film actually exists, and is exactly what it claims to be about, is something that even the best drugs can’t help explain.”
And here is the poster that got me interested in speaking to Rafael. They knew who their market was and marketed directly to them.
Enjoy my conversation with cult classic writer/producer Rafael Diaz Wagner.
LINKS AND RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE
- Rafael Diaz Wagner – Twitter
- Rafael Diaz Wagner – LinkedIn
- Rafael Diaz Wagner – Facebook
- WATCH: Attack of the Killer Donuts
- “This is Meg” Trailer
- 1000 True Fans
- $1 Closed Captions for Indie Filmmakers – Rev ($10 Off Your First Order)
- The Complete Indie Film Producing Workshop with Suzanne Lyons (COUPON CODE: IFHFILMPRODUCE)
- Rise of the Filmtrepreneur®: How to Turn Your Indie Film into a Moneymaking Business (FREE AUDIOBOOK)
- Shooting for the Mob (Based on the Incredible True Filmmaking Story) (FREE AUDIOBOOK)
REAL-WORLD STREAMING FILM EDUCATION
- Indie Film Hustle TV (Streaming Real-World Film Education)
- Hollywood Film School: Filmmaking & TV Directing Masterclass
- Filmmaker in a Box – Learn How to Make an Indie Film – 18 Hours+ of Lessons
- DSLR Filmmaking Masterclass
- Storytelling Blueprint: Hero’s Two Journeys
- The Dialogue Series: 38 hours of Lessons from Top Hollywood Screenwriters
- IFH Academy – Exclusive Filmtrepreneur Training
- Indie Film Hustle® Podcast
- Bulletproof Screenwriting® Podcast
- Filmtrepreneur™ Podcast
- FreeFilmBook.com (Download Your FREE Filmmaking Audio Book)
SUBSCRIBE TO THE SHOW
- Apple Podcasts
- Google Podcasts
- Tune In
If you enjoyed this episode, then watch below:
If you enjoyed this episode of the Filmtrepreneur Podcast, please spread the word through Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc by using social media buttons in the post. Feel free to post to your blog and anywhere else you feel it would be a good fit. Thanks for the support. Let me know what you think in the comments section below…
Stuff You Need in Your Life:
IFHTV: Indie Film Hustle TV
IFH Academy: Exclusive Filmtrepreneur Training
Book: Rise of the Filmtrepreneur®: How to Turn Your Film into a Moneymaking Business
Book: Shooting for the Mob (Based on the Incredible True Filmmaking Story)
FREE 3-Part Indie Film Producing Video Series